So, as mentioned before, we got ourselves a tent trailer earlier this month. As if we don’t have enough on the go(!), we decided to change up a few things to make it “ours”. Get our germs in there, as my hilarious neighbor put it. The trailer isn’t too old, so everything was in great condition and didn’t really need to be updated. We just wanted to make some “easy” cosmetic changes (I emphasize “easy” because it’s always easier said than done!). And as per usual, this project took longer than we thought, but we are pretty happy with the results.
p h a s e 0 1 – f l o o r s & c a b i n e t s
b e f o r e.
As you can tell, it’s not un-campable by any means … just a little dated. We decided we would update the cabinets and floors first. Originally, I had planned to install the flooring. Then my AMAZING hubby jumped on project tent trailer and 1) went to pick out & buy the flooring and 2) installed it. To say I was ecstatic is an understatement. He did a much better job than what I would have done and got it done super fast. And….I am in love with the driftwood color he chose!
I thought the cabinets would be easy – sand, prime, paint. When I got to sanding, I realized that our “oak” cabinets were MDF board with a wallpapery-sticker faux wood finish. Beautiful. I was unable to sand, so they did not turn out to be as smooth as I anticipated. At least the effect of “bright” was reached … with a bit of a rustic finish. I already had half a can of linen white paint and chalkboard paint (from painting our house last year), and still have some left. The basic hardware for the cabinets was bought at Rona & Home Depot.
a f t e r.
For p h a s e 0 1, there are still a few finishing touches – one knob to get, mini baseboards, etc…little stuff. My p h a s e 0 2 will include reupholstering the cushions and re-doing the curtains. I won’t start working on those until we’ve got a few camping trips under our belt.
So…for the meantime, I’m SO excited with this revamp and a-camping we will go!!
pic pix: tent trailer project – phase 01, June.2014