There is something about simple art that I just love. The rawest, shortest, minimalist amount of something can be so full. interesting. captivating. Writing out a name being an art? Who would’ve thought (I’ve been giving these to friends and all the new babies being born lately!).
There is also something powerful in a name. Regardless of how short or long it is, it has a meaning that carries attributes that somehow, seem to fit the person no matter what he or she is like or how different one namesake is to the next (ie. one Sarah to another Sarah).
For the longest time, I did not like that my name, Sarah, meant princess. In my mind, a princess was someone who was prissy, only liked dresses, and fashioned her life to do nothing but instead have things done for her. I could not figure out why my parents would pick a name that (I thought) carried a weak meaning. Until I thought into what/who a princess is.
Being a princess means that the woman is a daughter to a King. In my case, I am a daughter to God, my Father. A lot of princesses maybe didn’t/don’t lift a finger their entire lives, but some, fought in creative ways to defend for those around them – they have been women of influence and power. From that thought alone, I’ve taken on a warrior princess attribute to my name(!). And these are only a few of the possibilities that my name meaning carries!
Naming our boys felt a bit intimidating. I had the thought, “what if my kid doesn’t like their name…”. No worries, I tell myself, I came around to liking my name after a while. Then I’d wonder, “what will other people think?”. That never clouded my brain for very long as I told myself, You’ve never been too concerned with what other people thought about what you did before this. Why now, Sarah.
I suppose because of how much thought I put into my name meaning and how we’ve named our boys, I deem name meaning significant. And love to research it! It’s probably the reason I love creating personalized name keepsakes like pictured above…
…which brings me to the giveaway!!!
* the giveaway item: a personalized name souvenir of any name you decide (frame included – silver or black)
* how to enter: leave a comment with your first and middle name(s). winner will be chosen at random name after 12pm MST Monday, May 26, 2014. winner please check back to this post for further instructions.
* how to get an extra entry: share this with someone, have them leave a comment here also (stating they were sent here by you); you can refer as many people as you would like OR share this via twitter/instagram/blog post etc. and leave the link in the comments; you can share as many times as you’d like
* one entry per person (unless you have shared this with someone else who hasn’t yet posted a comment)
* must be a Canada or USA resident only – sorry my international friends 🙁
* must enter before deadline
*robyn beth you are the giveaway winner! please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your winnings. thank you everyone for playing along! *
pic pix: Theron Wayne – the name of the latest addition to our group of friends (aka ‘the Family’)